大家都了解，英文作文是由Introduction(起始段), body paragraphs (內容段落), and conclusion (結尾段)所組成的。今天，就來跟大家聊聊，寫一個段落所應該具備的架構。
- Topic Sentence(主題句) => the focus + the controlling idea or the main idea in the paragraph.
- Supporting Sentences => to provide evidence for the writer’s assertion.
- Conclusion => to sum up the whole paragraph.
I like to go swimming. Therefore, I have participated in a swimming team for many years. While I have learned swimming skills, I met different people in the team. For example, John not only helped me a lot in practice, but also donated funds to our swimming team. Hence, my team had chances to go abroad to join the swimming competition every year. I have a lot of unforgettable experiences and beautiful memories from swimming.
I like to go swimming.
在此句，我，是這個句子的主詞，也會是整個段落的論述主題= the focus.
like to go swimming 是整個句子的controlling idea.
所以，大家了解the topic sentence = focus + the controlling ideas 的意思了嗎?
While I have learned swimming skills, I met different people in the team. For example, John not only helped me a lot in practice, but also donated funds to our swimming team. Hence, my team had chances to go abroad to join the swimming competitions every year.
在此，所有的supporting sentences 都用來說明，加以解釋主題句，也就是要說明why do I like to go swimming? How much do I like to go swimming? what kinds of swimming skills have I learned? etc. 也因此，每一句的supporting sentences 必須扣住主題句，不可離題。
I have a lot of unforgettable experiences and beautiful memories from swimming.
在此，作者提到unforgettable experiences and beautiful memories 來總結主題句 I like to go swimming.
延伸閱讀:《【托福寫作】掌握這 10 大技巧，托福寫作輕鬆拿高分》
如果對於托福 TOEFL iBT 考試內容還不是很熟悉的同學，建議你可以先閱讀這篇托福考試內容總整理，會讓你對托福考試更了解，也更能理解我們接下來解釋的準備和練習技巧！
- A topic sentence must be a complete sentence.
- A topic sentence is usually a clear and direct statement.
- The subject of the topic sentence is usually the subject idea of the paragraph.
- The verb of the topic sentence usually shows the focus of the paragraph. So, it usually presents a judgment or attitude about the subject.
所以，我們看一下上面的這個主題句: I like to go swimming.
In universities, people tend to concern more about the career prospect of the subjects they learn.
Some people propose that students should learn subjects with a fast job growth including math, science, technology, and engineering even if they are interested in other subjects.
Do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
- learning subjects with fast growing careers is the crucial factor for students to get a job after they graduate from the university.
他是一個完整的句子，非問句。他有清楚的陳述句，且這句話的主詞students who learn subjects with fast growing careers就是整個段落要談的主題。他的動詞帶有一個”態度=> is crucial。
- learning subjects with fast job growth provides students with plenty of resources for their studying.
他是一個完整的句子，非問句。他有清楚的陳述句，且這句話的主詞 learning subjects with a fast job growth 就是整個段落要談的主題。他的動詞帶有一個”態度=> provides resources 。
- students are competitive in the job market if they choose the subjects which they are interested in.
他是一個完整的句子，非問句。他有清楚的陳述句，且這句話的主詞 students 就是整個段落要談的主題。他的動詞帶有一個”態度=> are competitive 。
- Choosing the courses students are interested in could enlighten their future career.
他是一個完整的句子，非問句。他有清楚的陳述句，且這句話的主詞Choosing the courses students are interested in就是整個段落要談的主題。他的動詞帶有一個”態度=> enlighten future career 。